Ordinary guy in an ordinary life living for an extraordinary God

Ordinary guy living an ordinary life for an extaordinary God

Thursday, December 13, 2012

To My Dad

My Dad retired today after 38 years working at Northshore School District. I'm looking forward to him being able to enjoy his time as a grandfather to his two grandchildren and husband to my awesome stepmom, Aletha.

I look back at growing up as his son. Really alot of great memories. I recall building a model plane, a P51 Mustang with him. I remember being especially excited for him to get home every night that week so we could glue more parts together.
The house we lived in in Bothel had a greenbelt through the backyard and Dad built us a tree house and rope swing. Monte and I played for hours on end back there.
By far the greatest memories I have with my Dad involved camping. Yes, the fault lies entirely with my Dad for my love of the outdoors, camping, exploring and that evolved into Jeeping. I don't recall how old I was when we first headed up past Granite Falls in our late 70s Ford Econoline van but our tradition was to stop by the general store and I could pick out a toy from the revolving rack. Plastic cap guns, green army men a truck. They fueled the imagination when we finished building a dam across a creek or caught minnows. Dad could skip a rock across the river using a sling shot, which is pretty much the coolest thing when you're 8 years old. Ha, I even remember my Dad saying "fart" as we were driving down Crooked Mile Road. We couldn't say that at home! That was also the most "vulgar" word I ever heard him speak.Those all were the greatest memories a boy could have with his Dad,and of course many more.

As I got into my teen years, as happens with many young boys, I realized my Dad wasn't the perfect  super hero I always thought he was. He annoyed me and I frustrated him. We butted heads often. I was pugnacious and knew what buttons to push. My teenage arrogance didn't leave much room for mercy. Fortunately for me my Dad had plenty.

At youth group one night when I was 17 our youth pastor, Arnie Guin, spoke about respecting our parents - whether or not we thought they deserved it. Somehow it hit me that I was in the wrong. That night started a slow change in our strained relationship.

The next few years with my Dad are a little foggy in my memory. Things weren't great at home and I moved out when I was 18. Carin and I got married two years later. This caused a huge rift among our families and my Dad and I didn't spend much time together, though he wasn't against our marriage. It was about a year or so later when my mom filed for divorce. Without going into all that involved it freed my Dad and I to spend more time together. Dad wasn't ever much for standing up for himself but the divorce was a wake up call. We both started growing together spiritually and as father and son. There were many times I could tell he was nearly overcome with guilt for his shortcomings as a husband and father. But this is when I really saw the foundation for humility. Dad talked to me not only as a son but as a friend. He listened to me in the same way. I really had the privilege of seeing a broken man become a man of God. When I would get hot headed he calmed me down without talking down to me.
Years after my parents divorce was final Carin and I had a few years of a rocky marriage. Dad and I spent many hours on the phone,he counseling me with the wisdom gained from experience.

I used to be a little upset that Dad didn't teach me how to work on cars or fix things around the house. But, looking at it now, my Dad, at the right time taught me the most important thing. He is teaching me to be a man of God, a husband who loves his wife and a father who can raise a boy into a man. And Dad gives all the credit to God. We, together have been able to experience the mercy of God in the healed relationship of a father and son, the saving of my marriage to Carin, the new relationship of his marriage to Aletha and his discipling me in my new fatherhood. If my relationship with Ethan is even similar to mine and my dads then I will be a success in this life. We give God the glory. I love you Dad. Congratulations on your retirement. You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment