Ordinary guy in an ordinary life living for an extraordinary God

Ordinary guy living an ordinary life for an extaordinary God

Friday, August 23, 2013

Without Posting It On Facebook....

On Facebook and Instagram and other social media there are "those guys" that fall into one of these following categories. You know, those guys who always post pics of their latest meal, or their cat, or the dozen selfies of them driving in their car or standing next to their "bestie". Or the latest: Dudes posting shoe collections that would turn Imelda Marcos Irish with envy ( said dudes not old enough to know who Imelda is).
But the only ones that really give me need for an ibuprofen are the serial fad dieters and on again off again gym gerbils. I mean really ,the people who are ACTUALLY working out don't have time to post about it or are actually doing it not to garner attention but to stay healthy and give God an excuse to keep them on this planet a little longer.
Do the "I just ate a mash of organic ground cucumber and celery and I feel great!" crowd really think we believe them? Much less feel motivated to join them on their third fad diet this year?  Its not that I feel that dieting and working out are bad things its just that those that are the loudest about it and the most insistent that everybody should join them are usually the worst at it.
Can you imagine if we all posted what we do with the same attitude as "those guys"? Here's one: "I spent 5 hours crocheting today! What did you do?!" Or " I pounded out 13 chapters in War and Peace! Only 352 to go before Thanksgiving! I'm a reading giant! Aaarrrgghh!
And most of my friends are Christians so they have good, family and God oriented "reasons" for doing these things. Reasons like "I spend 4 hours in the gym every day so I can live to see my kids grow old". Which is great until you realize that your kids don't know you because you've been at the gym their whole life. Or " The body is God's temple so I must take care of it". Which usually means eating like a miser....which is usually followed by eating like a stoner, guilt trips included.
I know, I know. You say "But you do need to do everything to take care of yourself". If you really believe that ,if you really believe the body is a temple and you can prolong your life, then guard it. Get a gun and take responsibility, not only for your life, but your families life as well. That's what I do. And I've been consistent at it for nearly 14 years.
And I haven't posted "Did 20 dry fire reps like a boss!" once in all that time. 

1 comment: